Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Don't you hate it when you are riding round the city on your bike all day and because you are too posh to wear trampy pacamac waterproof trousers, your posh work trousers get splattered with mud and you don't notice til after the quite important meeting you've just conducted? Me too. Here are some sensitive singer songwriter toons that i am feeling right now.

First up is Elton John - i have a bit of a hit and miss affair with Elton. first off, he always manages to irritate the shit out of me whenever he is in interviews as he thinks he is witty and a gay mecca when he is not. On the other hand, i never laughed so hard at the "you are all vile pigs" incident. His new song The Bridge is so much better than most the stuff on that dodgy Peachtree Road cd and reminds of his more recent classics like I Want Love and the glorious Original Sin. Elton and a piano? Lovely.

MP3: EJ - The Bridge


Poppostergirl turned me onto Five For Fighting who apparently aren't five people, say like Maroon 5, but just one person. Maybe he has five personalities? Whatever, he's been around for a while but i only ever this song, The Riddle, which i am just finding effervescent in its dreaminess. It may be a bit of a guilty pleasure, but i swear it bought a tear to my eye the other day. Though i had just seen that episode of Grey's Anatomy where the two strangers are impaled on the same pole. Sniff.

MP3: Five for Fighting - The Riddle



I've posted this song by Laura Michelle Kelly (the original stage Mary Poppins) a couple of times in album version, radio version and The Cardigans original version. However, in my mind the sheer beauty of this acoustic version beats all previous versions and Laura's voice gives me chills as she wraps it round the heartbreaking lyrics. If this doesn't win you over XO, nothing will!

MP3: Laura Michelle Kelly - Communication acoustic

Happy birthday to Aaryn @ Sparkpop! Have a great day :)

Viva Dan for being only the second Britain I have met (hi Ruthless) to love Veronica Mars as much as I do :)

5 Comments:

  1. Poster Girl said...
    Do you know Five For Fighting's "100 Years"? I think it was on One Tree Hill once and it was practically everywhere in the U.S. for a while--radio, televisions shows, even credit card commercials.

    I have no idea why someone famous for his sort of sweet or mopey songs would name himself after the punishment for violent fighting in hockey...
    Paul said...
    oh is that what he is named after? I had no clue! i don't think i heard 100 years, i may start to check out his back catalogue soon...
    Zeon said...
    Whatever you say, I still think Laura's cover is bland and tasteless. It doesn't transfer the original spirit of the song. She oversings it. The breathy, whispery vocals of Nina are just too good to top.
    xolondon said...
    It IS better than the album version, but I guess I don't believe her as much when she sings it. She doesn't quite have the voice of experience. Nina sings her with a little bit of worn down quality - the original is a TEARJERKER while this LMK version is sweet. Better though, I will agree. I think LMK's power is in a more booming sound, like "There Was A Time" - Nina could not sing that. I LOVE LMK's Keane cover though. Perfect.
    Paul said...
    i'm quite happy to hear and respect others opinions :) i really have a soft spot for LMK and hers was the version i heard first! However, I am going to go back and listen to the cardigans version with your comments in mind. cheers guys!

Post a Comment