Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

250 posts already? It only seems like yesterday that I started this, wondering if i would have enough to write about... and my posts were about the length of my boldtype preambles that precede every post now! I like to think i've developed my writing style over the past 8 months... it certainly has taught me that i love writing and that i can be creative, and am now working on my first novel based on an idea i've had in my head for ages. Anyway, over the next few weeks some cosmetic changes will be taking place to the blog as i try to get a nice Zapping branding going on and make the blog more magazine like... i'd really appreciate feedback from people - are my posts too long, or do you like the magazine format?? Even if you don't normally, leave a comment or email me to let me know what you think. Finally - thanks so much to all the artists and managers featured in yesterdays post who got in touch with me. It was great to receive such positive feedback :) I can't wait to continue spreading the good word about quality pop...

THE DOING IT FOR THE KIDS:

Sometimes, i think i forgot how to grow up - oh sure responsibility hit and I have a ridiculous amount of keys, a mortgage and a husband; gravity also hit and my metabolism slowed so I would now describe my body as....curvy (even though i know my nipples should be about 3 inches higher), yet big parts of my personality are still like a kid: I love teen tv shows (Buffy, veronica mars, Felicity, etc), my main reading habits are series of books aimed at kids (harry potter, lemony snicket, the septimus heap series, the peter pan prequels and sequel, etc) and i sometimes have the musical tastes of a 13 year old girl....anyway the whole point of that random ramble is to say that todays post is all about exciting kids stuff coming out that is also aces for adults too...




First up - every year around end of November, I start watching my regular diet of Christmas movies - Love, Actually (my fave film ever), Beauty And The Beast - An Enchanted Christmas and the little gem you see above. I love Tim Burton's deliciously dark take on christmas and the painstaking claymation, sparklingly witty and somehow sinister dialogue, teamed with an incredibly catchy score make this a winner all round. And rather brilliantly, last winter when I was at Disneyland (again!) they had transformed the haunted mansion into a smashingly fabbo Nightmare Before Christmas ride...and the milking of the film continues with a 3D release this hallowe'en and new contributions to the soundtrack from the brightest stars of college radio. I'm extremely excited about this film, even if DazPineappleandCheese isn't. Still, he loves me so he will so come with me...
.
LINK: Nightmare Before Christmas 3D Myspace site
BUY: Nightmare Before Christmas 3D Soundtrack
MP3: Panic! At The Disco - This is Hallowe'en
MP3: Fall Out Boy - What's This?

Now this one you should so already own.. When the normally happy go lucky Jim Henson went dark, he knew how to really mine the depths of nightmarish situations. The Dark Crystal terrified me when I was little, but i remember feeling kinda pleased that - like Nightmare... - the film didn't patronise it's younger audience with cliched situations. The plot is basically Tolkein lite - little dude must transport a charmed object to a perilous place and restore peace to the land. A double disc dvd set shows that pre-CGI, monsters could still be quite scary and provides proof that Mr H can be as superbly malevolent if he so desired...
.
BUY: The Dark Crystal on DVD
.


Finally, in the kids bit today, we get serious. New compilation album Colours Are Brighter showcases a group of acts doing songs for kids to raise awareness of Save The Children's Rewrite The Future campaign. Millions of children around the world do not have the opportunity to go to school. Without education, children are denied the chance of a happy, healthy and successful life. The album hopes to raise awareness and funds for this campaign and you can help out by donating or just signing the blackboard at the link below. Please take the time to do so ~ two great songs are posted here in the hopes it will get people to go out and purchase what actually is a great album :)
.
BUY: Colours Are Brighter album
DONATE/SIGN UP: Rewrite the Future campaign
MP3: The Kooks - The King and I
MP3: Snow Patrol - I Am An Astronaut
.
THE COVER UP:
.
Without too much preamble, because I want my dinner in a minute - here are a bunch of live lounge performances and covers I've discovered recently (live lounge refresh returns soon...)

MP3: Matt Willis - All These Things I've Done

MP3: lil chris - sexy back
MP3: The guillemots - take me out
MP3: Camera Obscura - supertrooper
MP3: Jealous Guys - Mr Brightside (club edit)
.
THE 7 TO WATCH IN 2007 UPDATE:

Just one bit of news today - Pacific Avenue will be playing at Asda in Park Head, Glasgow tomorrow (Friday 20th) at noon. So not only will you be able to see the lads play live, you will be able to nip in for a pint of milk and a loaf to. And seeing as Asda has the exclusive rights for 10 days to sell this from today...

you can pop in and read all about the second best british pop idol with the most poorly handled careers chavvy upbringing and crime syndicated family. Bonus!
.
QUICK BITZ:
.
~ we got added to azzyimages on myspace (the dude who does the pacific avenue shots) and are happy to clear up yesterdays misunderstanding that he was a woman. He's not. In fact judging by his myspace pic, he's quite the hottie in a hat and i'd happily fix him up with any of my male or female single friends. Depending on his persuasion...
.
~ not only does arjanwrites write a super dooper blog that i'm a little bit jealous of, but he has quite good popstarish hair and gets to hang out with the scissor sisters judging by todays post. Lucky bastard! I say that with love (and a little envy)...
.
~Damn Nick and his well written almost spot on reviews. Though i give it a 'B' myself....
.
~ Michel's Glamorus (sic) World continues to be the place for pilfered from all over the web material without so much as a thanks! Of course it's all relative in the world of blogging and mp3 posting, but as long as he keeps posting fashion ads of slutty looking men, we'll keep visiting and biting our tongues about the "intellectual theft"...
.
Coming soon! fashion special! lois and clark (but probably on bigblogger7)! more boy singers but in the more grown up acoustic-y rock vein! lucas mire album review! Tiffany album review?! that debz gibz christmas single perfection i've been promising! 7 to watch in 2007 updates! and lots more of course...
.
Disclaimer: This site is dedicated to getting quality pop music back into the charts. Any songs posted here are to encourage people to go out and buy the music from an online source or high street store. That's what the links are there for. If any artist or management want a link removed, please email me and i will do it straight away. We love the guys featured here and want them to succeed!

8 Comments:

  1. Samuel said...
    What would I like? It to continue like this - because, it is fucking fab!

    Great work!
    Nick said...
    Congrats on the 250th!! Your posts are always fantastic, witty and informative. Keep it up!

    Cool about starting your own novel! One of my ambitions is writing as well. I've written three children/YA books so far and am always trying to work at it until I write something that I'm happy enough with to try and get it published.
    Poster Girl said...
    The Zapping branding? And a book coming up? Will have you a compilation album next? ;)

    Awww for Love Actually and yay for Pacific Avenue (I just need to move the UK, really)! And cheers for Matt Willis, of course, too, even if you might not be happy with him for covering that particular song (and I do think he's better with his own songs--it's normally not so much his voice, but the songs he does that make me like him) :)

    By the way, I am liking Conor more and more by the day.
    Paul said...
    thanks for the kind words folks - ppg - i'm not sure it will be a zapping book per se just a book written by the guy who does the zapping ;) And Nick - it definitely will be a children's audience book :)

    by the way i am liking Conor more and more by the day too!
    Paul said...
    UGH! EZArchive is down AGAIN which is why some of the links may not work... why i pay for this service is beyond me. Check back later and it should be ok!!
    D'luv said...
    250th? Lordy, I'm only on 772 after a year and 9 months... anyway, sometimes there are so many goodies in your posts, a few get overlooked or lost in the shuffle. But other than that, it's magical, and downstairs goes bump.
    Paul said...
    yeah i do consider most my posts to be too long and i wonder if people can be bothered with it all! But hopefully people can pick the bits they like...! Once i start i can't seem to stop!
    Anonymous said...
    I love The Dark Crystal. I bought it on DVD a couple of months ago, my video was wrecked lol. I can't wait to see what the 2nd film's gonna be like.

Post a Comment