Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

So tuesday rolls around as quickly as you would imagine it to. I feel reflective today and wish i could think of something wise and insightful to say. But to be honest i'm just too tired - i don't sleep well when my little DazPants is not in the house. Boo! So while he is off partying in Gran Canaria, I am here with big bags under my eyes. Yes, that will make me look attractive. Oh who am I kidding - it's incredibly hard to make me look unattractive ;) Of course, I'm kidding. I know i'm only a 7.3 on the hotness scale ;) Right enough random ramblings - on with todays nostalgic post...

THE REFASHIONED RELICS:


I was so hooked last summer on Rock Star: INXS (I couldn't even be bothered to watch this years pitiful effort though) and picked cocky, arrogant yet strangely alluring JD Fortune as stand out singer from the very start (which is very easy for me to say in hindsight isn't it!). I was a fairweather fan of INXS in the 80s and 90s and thought they did some great songs. Refashioning themselves as a credible "American Idol" for the new millenium should have bought them back to the peak of fame and fortune. It didn't - and I'm not really sure why. The album isn't a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but it's very accessible and has some great tunes on - lead single Pretty Vegas is a vampy number with a Devil Inside-ish guitar riff, Devil's Party has a funk rock coolness that makes them seem cool all over again and Afterglow and Never Let You Go are two laid back numbers that add another layer of dimension to the band's musical catalogue. One year on from the album Switch being released, the "Nerina Pallot- Fires" syndrome is happening: thanks to a snappy advertising campaign in the UK, sales are picking up and new fans are being given an opportunity to discover this sparkling, if somewhat imperfect, gem...

MP3: INXS - Afterglow (After Dark Remix)
MP3: INXS - Never Let You Go (Digital Dog Remix)

THE COMEBACK KIDS:
Sigh. Deacon Blue's magnificent tune Dignity was the first song I can remember being utterly entranced with that wasn't my usual diet of tinny-beat driven pop. It seemed to have an epic grandeur to it and a rolling piano that I could only aspire to at the time (though am a lot better at now...). Their near perfect debut album Raintown spent an incredible 77 weeks on the british album charts and their 20th anniversary singles collection features mainly songs from late 80s and early 90s. And despite being an era that sometimes can sound a little dated, the tracks are still as glorious now as they were then. Three new songs including darling new single Bigger Than Dynamite fit in perfectly alongside the standards and the band have become THE hot ticket to see live this winter...

MP3: Deacon Blue - Dignity
MP3: Deacon Blue - Bigger Than Dynamite

THE REMEMBER WHENS:
Aah my up and coming boyband post from a few weeks ago and my where are they now boyband post got me to thinking... Whatever happened to Bad Boys Inc? Slightly overshadowed by the meteoric rise of Take That, they churned out a selection of perky pop that had me smiling from ear to ear. Plus I remember having a dream that one of them was dating Robbie Williams and came home to find me in bed with him :O I'll have to leave that memory there ;) But here are a couple of classics from a more innocent pop era sadly long gone...

MP3: Bad Boys Inc - Don't Talk About Love
MP3: Bad Boys Inc - More To This World

THE NEW PHOTOS:


Yesterday we revealed that naughty but nice David Beckham had totally stolen Simon Curtis' rather funky retro-preppy look. Tsk tsk! Well other myspace faves of mine are looking mighty dapper too. Above is The Feeling looking all greased up and slick on the set of their video for the insanely catchy Love It When You Call...


And just above these very words is a very visually pleasing piccie of Justin Lanning. Make sure you check out his blog on his myspace site - there aren't many 21 year olds with such a profound insight into life, love and spirituality...and rather acely he has a great new demo on his myspace site called Fingertips. Another reason to head over there right now peeps!

QUICK BITZ:

~ PopPosterGirl has gone as random as me and I am loving it! Her latest post features the excellent Click Five and my fave cheeky pop scamps McFly, but the icing on the cake is her continued admiration and adoration of Pacific Avenue. Their song Don't Look Back deserves to be a Christmas number three at the very very least...

~ First of all The Feeling take my advice to release Love It When You Call as a Christmas song, then Scissor Sisters start listening and schedule Land Of A Thousand Words as their festive contribution. Next to heed my counsel is Maria Serneholt releasing the lovely ballad Oxygen. Thanks to Jessica for the info...
.
~ Congrats to Lucas Mire (whose album review is coming I swear!) who is like the second most popular gay singer in Atlanta... Well done that man :)
.
~ Nick has a great song by an act called Cute Phase on his site... anything that is described as The Upper Room meets... is a-ok with me. Bonza!
.
~ All new holiday diaries blog here!!

Coming soon - definitely that Boy Singer post i keep promising and all the other stuff i mentioned over the past couple of days but haven't got round to!

14 Comments:

  1. xolondon said...
    Awww Raintown is my one of my fave records. I even have the remaster special one! I happily admit it. Some of their stuff does sound dated now, but there are many good songs at the heart of questionable production. Plus I fancy myself, you know, Scottish or English or Welsh depending on the day. New single is nice but how many Hits CDs do they have?!
    Poster Girl said...
    Thanks for the mention! I do blame you for my increasing randomness, though ;) as well as getting me hooked on Pacific Avenue, but that's a good thing.

    Ooo, INXS--I have a couple of songs of theirs I keep meaning to post (not only because they're good but also because it means I'd get to use some pics of JD)--I really like "Pretty Vegas" and "Afterglow," though I've never heard the entire album--I'm looking forward to hearing the remixes, and it's great to hear that they might do well in the UK.

    Have you ever thought about a career in pop music, advising singers what songs to release? Your track record's pretty good! :)
    Paul said...
    XO - i too have that raintown legacy cd and its great :) I think this is at least their 3rd greatest hits - they are competing with roxette. I've noticed that bands too lazy to record all new material just rerelease new greatest hits packages every year with a few new songs on!

    PPG - Simon commented on your site :) What a sweetie! I honestly think i would do a much better job of advising people what their singles should be! Liberty X for example have made some BAD choices!!
    D'luv said...
    What ironic timing! I'm just now discovering Bad Boys Inc.! After I posted that Let Loose remix a few weeks back, and friend asked if I'd every heard BBI, and has since given me their entire album. I really love "Whenever You Need Someone." Are you familiar with Optimystic at all? They were out at the same time, and had a great song called "The Best Thing In The World."
    Paul said...
    bad boys inc were far too good for their time. Someone needs to form a bad boys inc too... (and let loose were great too!)
    Anonymous said...
    Erm....Matthew here (ex lead singer with Bad Boys Inc) I'm now fronting a band called JEAN who you can check out on myspace:

    www.myspace.com/abandcalledjean

    Someone has set up a Bad Boys Inc MySpace too where you can find out what we're all up to now

    www.myspace.com/badboysincmusic

    Thanks for the positive comments about BBI - much appreciated

    Matthew x
    Paul said...
    oh good lord - now i am embarrassed that i confessed my bad boys inc dream. Le shame :(
    PinkieDust said...
    Shameful me thinks not...your not going rude like i am!

    But im sure we'd all love see some flash.
    Paul said...
    no flash on this blog ;) I save that ultimate privilege for Mr Dazpanteloons even if he is sunning himself in gran can without me :) Hi Dazzle!

    Mr Dust - we want your blog back up and running. Rumour has it that your computer is due back any day soon... (i have contacts at mac :) )
    lucas said...
    Awwww, thanks for the shoutout!
    Paul said...
    no probs! you deserve it! thezappin is all about giving the love ;)
    Anonymous said...
    LOL

    Which member was shagging Robbie in your dream?

    I'm intrigued LOL

    Matthew x
    Paul said...
    oh matthew i will blush - it was david ross and thats all i can reveal cos it got pretty filthy after that! Message me at myspace if you want all the juicy info!!

    www.myspace.com/thezapping
    yanmaneee said...

Post a Comment