Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Hello my pretties! I have returned from the freezing coldness that is New York City and I must say my lovely little Darren and I had an amazing amazing time :) Of course full details to come soon in the holidaydiaries blog and I will of course let you know when that is up. In the meantime head on over to myspace to check out a sample of the pics we took :) I have to say that for the past year or so I have done nothing but write. I write any thoughts i have about what i want to put on my blog, i write down things that have happened to me, i write down ideas for my books, i write down anything that comes into my mind. My life is documented in a folder of scraps of paper, magazine cuttings, notebook scribblings, etc. and of course some of it ends up on here, some of it is just for me and some of it is for my first novel - which one way or another you will be able to read this year. I'm excited that people actually enjoy this blog because originally it was just a way to get some of those thoughts down for family and friends and it grew to be something much bigger than that! Anyway, spread the word I'm back and you guys are going to be thrilled with the one year anniversary makeover...
.
COMING SOON TO THEZAPPING:
.
There is so much good stuff coming up you will have more creme in your pants than on top of a delish Starbucks Vanilla Bean. Yum. Anyway check out some of the stuff coming your way in the next couple of weeks...

  • the return of quick bitz and blog watch...
  • an all new and funky posh new look for thezapping's one year anniversary on 25th February 2007 (with new web address...)
  • reviews of new songs, new albums and new acts...
  • a look at some of the musicals from NYC and how they are sometimes more pop than pop...
  • a mammoth 11 to watch in 2007 update...
  • books that became films...
  • thezapping and friends singles reviews (and record company project...)
  • the continued greatness of ABC...
  • the new york city diaries...
  • my top five male singers...
  • my top five female singers...
  • things i just don't get...
  • where are my picks for 2006 in 2007???
and so much more it's not even funny! Stay tuned and spread the word!!
.
THE DAY DISNEY BOUGHT SEXY BACK:
.


I admit it - i'm a HUGE fan of Disney. From the tear jerkers like Bambi and Fox and the Hound to the revival musicals period of Little Mermaid thru to Tarzan, and then onto the new pixar years, I embrace my inner child and let the slightly guilty pleasures wash over me like a dazpants facial. But, let's face it - disney, try as they might, have never been cutting edge cool. Until they hired fab photographer Annie Leibovitz to put a little star power into their new "Year Of A Million Dreams" campaign. Starting in March and running throughout the year in mags like GQ, Vogue and W, celebs will be photographed as Disney characters in recreations of iconic scenes from their rich back catalogue of classic movies. First up is Bouncy as Alice in Wonderland and Scarlett Johannson (who was a right little minx in The Prestige) looking breathtaking as Cinderella. My fave has to be still jizzworthy David Beckham as Prince Phillip slaying the dragon in Sleeping Beauty. Not only does he look a bit RAR but his quote - "i'm the prince and i'm sort of slaying a dragon which i've never done before" - only further endears me to his Tim-nice-but-dim persona. Coming next? Peter Pan, tinkerbell and Ariel! oooo...
.

THE NEW PAOLO VS. JAMES DEBATE:

While James Morrison stormed ahead with chart positions at the beginning, Paolo Nutini is currently wowing America and returning to the british album charts top ten and was totally able to win my heart with his gorgeous album These Streets. Now I have two more slightly similar but not really singers vying for my attention. On the one hand, there's Jamie T who pilfers a variety of styles from skiffle to hip hop yet always manages to make them sound like his own. He creates vivid characters to move his songs along and wraps them up in lyrically astute observations on modern living. Just Jack who is currently storming the charts with the fantastic Starz In Their Eyes sounds more like the type of bloke I'd take to the pub and try and sort out all his troubles. His sound veers towards jazz tinged beats, gorgeous horns and strings and a smattering of house music. He still has wry observations and conversational singing style that detail modern life, but it's his tunes about crap relationships and shallow living that make me want to hug him and put him everso much ahead of the still ace Jamie Treays...
.
LINK: Purchase Jamie T's music
LINK: Purchase Just Jack's music
.
THE MUSICALS REVUE PART ONE ~ SPRING AWAKENING:
.

Lots of musicians have tried to create a rock and/or roll musical and failed. Billy Joel gave it a bash but bashed his car instead. Paul Simon tried. Even Bob Dylan jumped on the bandwagon but no times were changing or tills chinging for him. So how is it that Duncan Sheik succeeded where these stars failed? It may be that even though it's set in a 19th century boarding school, it's themes are completely relevant today. Or it may be that it is beloved by people like David Bowie, Amy Lee and David Byrne. Or perhaps it is that the show focuses on interior monologue that the audience can relate to - no singing to each other for this stage spectack. Most likely, however, it is because this rock musical comes across as more pop with catchy choruses, power pop chords and gorgeous if despairing ballads. Highlights include the revenge anthem Totally Fucked and a battle cry for anyone who has felt they don't fit into the world in The Bitch In Living. So unlike other rock operas, this show has legs that could run and run....
(More musical madness coming all this week!)
.
LINK: Buy Spring Awakening
LINK: Buy tickets for Spring Awakening
.
See y'all tomorrow folks!

5 Comments:

  1. KulPop said...
    Hi Paul,
    Welcome back. Did you see "Spring Awakening' while you were in New York? I really like Duncan Sheik's work and look forward to your review if you did see it.

    Cheers,

    KulPop
    Poster Girl said...
    Woo! The return of Paul :) Can't wait to hear more about New York--I've only been there once, but I loved it.

    I was looking at that first picture of the guy on the horse and thinking "that looks an awful lot like David Beckham, but...nah..." I think I may prefer the top picture of him to the actual finished shot, from what I can see. This photoshoot may force me to change my opinions on Prince Phillip, though--I sort of always wanted Maleficent to kill him in the movie (I really wasn't a twisted child, I swear! I actually have no idea what I had against him...)
    Paul said...
    Kulpop - sadly i didn't see SA while i was in NYC but i was certainly addicted to the soundtrack and you can see a fair bit of it on youtube :)

    Veronica Mars!! ~ i'm shocked at your revelations about wanting to do wussy prince phillip harm. Shocked that i shared your thoughts ;)
    Dan said...
    I don't know - I always kind of felt like the prince from Snow White was MUCH more of a wuss than Prince Phillip. And the prince from Cinderella - well, he's like hardly in the movie, so I really can't compare. I do, however, love Maleficent as she was pretty much the coolest Disney villain EVER!

    Welcome back Paul - hope that you have some luck with that Mastercard! ;)

    Dan
    Paul said...
    thanks dan! And thank god for 0% balance transfer :)

Post a Comment