Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Well at least the weather is a bit better today… I missed the season finale of Bad Girls last night so I will have to try and catch up on it this weekend sometime. I had the most visitors ever to my site yesterday which was very nice. If you are new – hello! Right then – straight on with todays random musings…

Must Get Out:


Oh my! Popping up rather quietly on maroon 5's myspace page was the following message from drummer Ryan…

" Due to the rigors of touring, I have sustained joint and nerve injuries that have made me unable to continue performing as a drummer in a touring rock band. I am therefore leaving Maroon 5 to pursue songwriting and producing on my own, a process I have already begun with much enthusiasm.

The split is amicable, and I have made my peace with this unfortunate reality, because I feel that I have a lot of music still to make. I worked in the creative process and production of the new M5 album with the title Musical Director, and I hope to collaborate with the band again in the future. I am still close friends with the guys, including my replacement, Matt Flynn, to whom I wish good luck and much success.

I would also like to thank all of you who have supported me for many years, and I hope to create music for you in the near future. Its been an incredible twelve years since Adam, Jesse, Mickey and I started this band. Now I begin a new phase in my life, to which I look forward graciously. Thank you, and I love you all."

Maroon 5 were one of the four bands I fell in love with in 2004 and are still my favourite, even over the mighty Scissters and killers. It was quite a shock to read this news and wish Ryan all the best with his new path in life. It must have been a difficult decision to leave. Apparently the band are close to finishing their sophomore set – I for one can't wait to hear it…while we are waiting for that, here are a couple of demos from Songs About Jane…

MP3: Maroon 5 – Thats Not Enough (unreleased demo)
MP3: Maroon 5 – Shiver (demo)

Return To Oz:


Over the past two days, I have developed quite an unhealthy addiction to Ta-Dah, which I wrote about yesterday. I just can't seem to get enough of it. And the more I listen to I Can't Decide the more I want it. I think it’s the piano in it as well – I'm very into piano in songs at the moment (see below for why) and think this track would be a riot for my fingers on the keyboard. Plus what's not to love about a song that promises to "fuck and kiss you both at the same time"?? XO has weighed in with his opinions on the album so be sure to check that out. And if you get chance to buy the limited edition box set with extra songs – do so! Those songs are a lot of fun, particularly Hair Baby (again which I heard and loved at V Fest 2005) and Transistor (almost sorry is almost lovely too)…

MP3: Scissters – hair baby
MP3: Scissters - transistor

Piano Man:

Back in school (so many moons ago, sob) I used to be quite good at piano. I had lessons, worked my way through exams and then went to university and gave up on it all. That's not to say I didn't play, but I didn't practice as much and my skill level dropped significantly. So recently, I decided I wanted to go back to having lessons to brush up on my talent again. I was lucky enough to get some lessons from Brian Woulfe who is an extremely talented young man whose done lots of professional classical work in the past. He's quite encouraging and creative so I look forward to my next few lessons (though he did criticise my fingering – DazPhallic has never had any complaints ;) )

Over the weekend: Well I will be in London all day tomorrow for this (finally!) so expect a detailed review late Saturday evening. And probably some more stuff on Sunday - including who i am starting again with in 2007 and maybe some stuff from my archives :) Don't leave me hanging! Ps - what do we think of the new sugababes track? A grower??

6 Comments:

  1. Will said...
    Hi Paul, Re: Ta Dah - I never thought I would find myself using the phrase 'I Like Paul Mcartney', but I Like Paul Mcartney - and pretty much all of the rest of it aces too. One of my friends is going to their Traf square gig tomorrow eve, and I'm gutted I had to decline going cos I have to work late :-( Enjoy London!
    DanProject76 said...
    I have just been playing it. Love the 2nd disc as it's like their pre-Scissor Sisters (the album) stuff (i.e. freaky) but with better choons!
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Paul! Have a fab time at Wicked! Can't wait till Wednesday and the Pipettes! You have such an exciting life!:)
    See you Wed!
    xxx
    xolondon said...
    oh ma gaww you are going to Pipettes this week! Lucky dawgs.

    Anyhoo, I am glad you love the Scisstors! They are fun-lovin' like you. I am so jealous of rushing off to Londinium. Have fun!

    PS I did a double take on your fingering comment!
    PinkieDust said...
    Have Fun! You'll be surrounded by a-listers! And thanks for your kind words on Popeatspop. Much appreciated.

    Re: Bad Girls. What a poor ending to a poor series(or as they say in america season). Trust ITV to fiddle up the only good thing on the table.

    Best moment of the entire series: Body Bag dancing to a remix of Dolly Partons Peace Train.

    Worst: Nearly all of it. I didnt care about the Julies. Natalie Buxton and the rest. Only the costa cons appeared to shine. The acting was pitiful(the camera spent far too long on those ex-Eastenders)

    The series has had no proper Top Dog for ages and they totally misused Darlene Cake. What they did to her in that last episode was shocking. It does however leave her comeback as a real possibility in the next series where in which with a murder charge..and we know what that'll mean...
    Paul said...
    Will - can't believe you turned down a chance to go see the scissters. life is so unfair sometimes isn' it? :(

    Dan - i have only listened to bonus disc a couple of times, i will give it a proper spin on way down to Londres today :)

    Ruthie - yay to the pipettes! BOOOOO to the sold out killers tickets that are now on ebay for £200. Money hungry whores!

    XO - i DO love the new album, i do think its a little repetitive but its just so catchy and fun (like halcyon days) that i can't seem to care :) I loved your take on it btw...

    Ah pinkie - ugh, i'm so disappointed with bad girls this year. its like itv told them to treat it like a brand new show. no mention of di barker or fenner's murder (not that i recall), under utilising the cast from last year with short new story arcs for guest cast and no top dog. Bring back Prisoner Cell Block H...

Post a Comment