Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Scissor Sunday...

Sundays are great really aren't they? Don't answer that, it was a rhetorical question. Apart from the fact that they lead into Mondays, which actually makes later in the day on Sunday a little bit rubbish. Still it's still early so I will appreciate what I have and when it's later I will be bitter and jealous of all your American readers who are 6-8 hours behind me. Curse you all! In a good loving way of course. Now, where was I?

SCISSOR SINGLES:

On the way back from Wicked yesterday, I was once again listening to Ta-Dah and have revised my position on which singles should be released and when. I now think they should release lovely ballad Land Of A Thousand Words for a nice Christmassy single, followed by the insanely catchy I Can't Decide, then a stomping remix of Lights before wrapping everything up with I Just Might Tell You Tonight. But what do I know? I wanted Music Is The Victim as a single and look where that got me...

ALBUMS ARE LEAKING LIKE A DRIPPING TAP:

Its like the days of pre-legal napster all over again with albums pre-cumming all over the internet before they are officially released. Obviously, we (and by we I mean me cos its a one man show so more of a royal we) at The Zapping fully encourage people to go out and buy music to keep the poor starving artists in baked beans. Here are a few songs I may have heard recently though from new albums...


XO totally turned me on. Er, to Bertine Zetlitz. She makes the sort of classy almost worthy pop that you wish Sophie Ellis Bextor was still making (hurry back SEB!). Her new album is out on Monday in "mainland Europe" and you can check a couple of tracks out over at Mr Middle 8. Personally, I am always up for a bit of obsession, especially when it sounds as good as this...

MP3: Bertine - Obsession



Little Jesse McCartney is finally over the fact that Summerland got cancelled (hey Jesse so did the network it was on) and is back making music. His new cd Right Where You Want Me isn't a million miles away from his last set, which I am ok with. Stand out track has to be Daddy's Little Girl - a great fun dance/rock-pop track that reminds me a lot of JC's finest moment All Day Long I Dream About Sex. And I do...

MP3: Jesse - Daddy's Little Girl


Kate Ryan is kinda fun - she makes unpretentious music that is designed to put a smile on your face and get your feet shuffling round that dancefloor. Her new album Alive is filled with tracks like her Eurovision entry Je T'adore. We (that's the royal we again) like Love or Lust, because we listened to it first thinking it was a cover of a Debbie Gibson song. It's not (boo) but its still quite good...

MP3: Kate - Love or Lust

POP WILL EAT ITSELF


I'm not even going to attempt to be as indepth or intelligent as Pinkie is about how all pop is recycled and used differently around the world. You can check out his site for that (can't wait for the kylie post) but in the meantime, some young whippersnapper called Tata Young has covered one of my favourite pop songs of 2002 - I Must Not Chase The Boys, originally performed by cute little girl group Play. Tata's is a bit rockier and edgy but its the pure driven pop of Play that make their version the superior one.

Mp3: Tata - IMNCTB
MP3: Play - IMNCTB

Coming next week: I have no idea yet but that just makes it more fun for everybody doesn't it :) Oh, but check out Zeon's hilarious own "banterview" segment on his quite stunning blog. how I laughed

EDIT ALERT - just a quick few points



- Inspired by the fabulousness of Ella's return, i finally get round to posting the pic of our new sofa (tragically post dazphallic and I christening it. I didn't realise i was so bendy). I'm sure no-one is interested but i love it :)
- Now I love being a part of Michel's World as much as the next person - sexy boys, great music, rare remixes and videos - but does this post seem similar at all?? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so colour me flattered :)
- Scissors remain number one in the UK with a downloads only debut of 5 for the Killers. Bonza!! Robbie only drops two, which i was surprised at. Check out chartrigger for a much better analysis!

16 Comments:

  1. xolondon said...
    Sunday has always been my fave day of the week, aside from Sat. AM when it's all ahead of you. I like Sundays b/c the activities range from lazy (tea/paper/politics shows on TV) to casual (brunch or the proverbial Sunday drive I have never done but am doing today) to cleaning house and then good TV Sunday night (HBO and a channel -Hist. Channel - that has Poirot and Midsomer all day long!). The best is a Sunday in winter when the weather is bad and you stay in all day! The thing I don't like on Sunday is laundry.

    Okay that is more than you need to know. Meet for brunch in 2 hours (or, er, early dinner? Yorkshire pudding?)
    D'luv said...
    Note to self: copyright "Banterview."

    Your enthusiasm is once again proving influential (can't you just not like something for once, dammit!?)... I'm going to get the Scissor Sisters full album (for free, of course), and listen to it the whole way through, rather than just say I'm going to listen to it. It's a second chance, Scissors. Don't fail me.

    I'm playing "Love Or Lust" now. She's a sassy dame. Do you have "The Promise You Made"? It was played a lot last year on the now sadly defunct PWL Radio internet station. I like this song. Wasn't "Je T'adore" initially going to get a single release in the UK? Wha' happened
    D'luv said...
    Just read XO's comment. I'm ashamed to admit that the Sundays you just described were actually my Saturday yesterday! I didn't leave my palatial estate once, except to water the flowers outside. I've been so torn up that all 4,000+ of my songs had to be erased from my iPod that I spent most of the day ripping my CDs back onto iTunes and replenishing the damn thing... it's official. I have no life.
    E said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    E said...
    Hi cuties! I love Sundays! This sunday is rather sunny. I've actually come in now as I've caught the sun. I went out in my garden(i know right! a garden in central London-its called being paid too much per anum)to take some respite from my jet lag/and dancing too hard at the SS thing and fell asleep. Now im bright red. I'm the same colour as those drunk bums on park benches. We danes tend to go that tint. Athough i'm not sure we smell as bad as those park drunks. I think thats Norwegans tho!

    Kate Ryan is everywhere now. I just posted a song over at DSTP!
    Paul said...
    the return of Ella! And now my sunday is complete. How was your trip? Brilliant i trust - or did you miss the sweaty jockstrap smell of your apartment :) I am v jealous that you have a garden in central london. I can't even afford a garden in central birmingham. Please don't judge me ;)


    XO _ i do a mean yorkshire pudding. Its a date :)

    J'ason - well there are plenty of things i don't like, i just tend not to write about them!! i'm glad you are giving them another go. I think a review in the observer summed Ta-dah up quite well "easy to like, harder to love".

    i just slept for three hours this afternoon. How lazy. now Dazphallic and i are watching Prisoner Cell Block H!
    E said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    E said...
    Paul, honey did they show any of the aftershow party on the TV show on ch4? Jake was there as was kylie. I was dying of jet lag by then but I couldnt resist a free drink surrounded by famous peeps(I secretly want to be a starfucker when i grow up)

    i seem to remember Kylie and Jake wore the same cat print thingy. It caused my eyes to bleed. But they were the total centre of attention.

    Kylie looked amazing(She looked like she'd nabbed something from Mel B's closet) and....Jake well think yellow...sick...red..blood...not good.

    David Furnish looked as fucked as I felt. And Lulu was there clinging to gays(David Furnish/Alan Cumming). Now it might have been the exhaustion but Kylie and Jake looked like they were totally in love with each other. I mean L.O.V.E!

    Oh and i spilled a bit of my bellini over Carl Barat. Oh the glory!


    --

    Yeah, its pretty cool having a garden. But thats why this place is so expensive. Its tiny. Dingy. Except for the garden.

    Keep up the good work though. Its nice to see on my arrival everything is as it always was!
    Robpop said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    Robpop said...
    Ella ur SUCH a namedropper.
    xolondon said...
    I like hearing about everyone's Sundays! Anyway, I am aghast at Michel. I knew he stole from Pink Is The New Blog, but I didn't know he stole from everyone. I mean that's your voice in that writing, presented without a link. Ticky tacky.

    I am going to boycott hmmm. Uh, unless there is a good remix. ;)
    xolondon said...
    PS The Kate Ryan song is good! Have you looked at her site. She claims she is 25, but she LOOKS, like she has shaved 10 yrs off! "Bless!" as you guys say.
    Paul said...
    oh no point boycotting him - i look on his site as a "greatest hits" of the blogs!
    PinkieDust said...
    The pics of the aftershow are in all the tabloids today. And ella I see what ya mean!

    Paul, I adore Tata Young. Its so weird that she should do that particular song. You do know that she's covered Play(amongst many others) with her song Cinderella. The song is like Torn but without ever being a hit. It was recorded by four pop acts. 4! Certainly a popeatspop gem. Thanks for the track!

    I'm so glad you liked Wicked. My lips are juiced in anticipation. Ive got about 3 months to wait though. I had to buy the cheap seats. Very cute couch!

    Paul the intelligent comment made me blush. I've never been told that before! The Kylie thread is there now btw to appease your monday blues....(and thanks again for the link!)
    Paul said...
    i have never heard of Tata Young before this song so i may have to check her out! I did see Wicked in the paper and was insanely jealous that ella could have gone. Vixen!

    i just read kylie thread and was fascinated :) Good read young sir...
    Paul said...
    how rude! When i steal it (with my own words) I shall so credit you!

Post a Comment