Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Boxing Day...

I wasn't going to do a post today, but DazPremadonna is having an afternoon snooze and there are only so many dvds one can watch while shoving quality street down ones neck. So here I am typing up something really quick that will probably turn into something mammoth. They usually do don't they?! I went to the sales at the Bullring today and it was freaking chaos! oy vey! I nearly got my eye poked out while trying to pick up a rather foxy scarf. I think I will stick to shopping in the sales online (though I did get season one of the 00's Battlestar Galactica for £12 from HMV. I heard such good things about it that I thought i would give it a go...) I was sad though, that Starbucks have already stopped using their lovely red festive cups. The white one i am sure made my coffee taste less festive...
.
THE TALES OF CHRISTMAS JUST PAST:
.

So rather typically, DazPremature woke up at about 5am and decided that was a perfectly reasonable hour to get up and open all our presents. And what a pile there was, as you can see above! Lots of dvds, books, household ornaments (we are so gay), mp3 alarm clocks (thanks ruthiepoos!), willie shaped biscuits (kirsty so obviously knows what i like in my mouth), a new wallet (dazpicky has been dying to get rid of my pepsi one for ages, so got me a nice new leather one from fossil!), psp games for DazPsp, sheet music (thanks CatWoman!) and lots more. Not pictured - pogo sticks (?!), plenty of aussie bum underwear (rar!) and clothes. We are so GQ stylish right now...
.

While Darren was catching up on playing all his new computer games, I watched the penultimate Robin Hood episode. It was quite good - i've really liked this show, despite some of it's failings. Perhaps Jonas Armstrong has helped me through it. I refuse to believe Maid Marion is dead though... maybe i'm being naive, but we will see next week in the season finale. I also watched Christmas TOTP, which was quite good. McFly opened the show with Rockin Robin and no one really matched the genius of that...
.

As we tucked into a delicious lamb dinner that Darren had prepared (he is a whizz with roast potatoes), and enjoyed a glass of bucks fizz (ooo classy), we decided to curl up on the corner couch and watch Dan on tv. Of course I mean Dr Who and The Runaway Bride. I thought it was rather good - David Tennant was quite excellent as usual and did a good job of showing his love of adventure while dealing with the "loss" of Rose. At times it was very poignant. Catherine Tate channelled various characters from her sketch show with a fairly tenuous Christmas link, but overall the excitement of getting the show on dvd (finally!) meant I was quite enamoured... (check out the other Dan's review here!)
.

Then we snuggled on the couch a little bit more, before being totally wooed by the very funny and very romantic first part of the final Vicar Of Dibley story to be shown. I love a good romance and no one does love like Richard Curtis. I think the bloke who proposed to Geraldine is the guy who is the sheriff in Robin Hood and quite the catch he was too. And fair play to Dawn French for being game enough to jump into six foot puddles. Again!! Can't wait for part two... And then Christmas day was over. Sigh. Still only 365 days til the next one!!
.
LINK: Buy Dr Who - season 2 dvd
DOWNLOAD: Dr Who and The Feast Of The Drowned (audio story read by David Tennant - part one) (zip file)
LINK: Countdown to Christmas 2007!
.
THE STUFF WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS:
.

I often get the post Christmas blues. I embrace the season so fully, that when it is over I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next... so luckily, flicking through magazines yesterday got my mind off the end of the season, and to stuff coming up in the next few weeks (that isn't going back to work tomorrow!). First up, Attitude proves worthy again of my number two fave magazine accolade by coming up with the rather brilliant cover you see above. I think it's due out at the end of this week. As McFly are such big fans of G-A-Y, I can't wait to read their interview...
.


And next up are a couple of "children's" shows that seem to be appealing to me right now. One is the Dr Who spin-off for children - which will follow the adventures of lovely Dr Who companion (and unrequited lover) Sarah Jane. I think the show gives the character some purpose and closure on her time with the Doctor. It also looks like a heck of a lot of fun :) As does new kids spy show M.I.High. The preview website looks pretty cool and sometimes cheesy kids tv can be quite the diversion. Especially when you read as many "children's" books as I do! Both may be a load of old twaddle, but I shall certainly be tuning into the premiere episodes to find out!
.
LINK: Attitude's myspace site
LINK: Sarah Jane show site
LINK: M.I.High show site
.
THE WHAT TO WEAR ON NEW YEARS SPECIAL:


Sigh. The sales are on. Yes, it may be a mad zoo out there as people tear for clothes that they wouldn't normally be seen dead in, just because they are 50% off, but the most important party night of the year is coming up and you want to be looking good. Thanks once again to the fine folks at ASOS, i have put together some outfits you can wear pretty much anywhere without looking too fashion impaired...First up is the smart do. It isn't always about wearing a sharp suit (though it can't really fail to impress if you choose the right style). You can now choose something that hints at the formal but still gives you enough scope to be casual and comfortable in what you wear. And that's one of the most important things of all! You could choose a nice unstructured blazer and pair it with a more formal shirt (top) or if you want to dress it down a bit, try a t-shirt, but avoid logos at all costs! (2nd)...
.


If you are staying in, you are in good company as it seems to be the new going out. You get to avoid the rip off bar prices, you pretty much choose who your company is, you don't have to wait in the freezing cold for an overpriced taxi and there is no dress code. Don't slum it though - you can add a touch of style to your twisted denims if you choose a fitted shirt with rolled up sleeves(top), or a double cuff shirt and add a nice scarf to it (2nd). Snazzy :)
.


If you are braving elbows in your face and a long wait at the bar for every drink you want at the club, then try a bit of retro cool. Go for some jean-look trousers and team it with a rather cool rocking t-shirt. Whatever your religious affiliation, the current trend of beads and cross necklaces always looks good as long as you don't spin around too fast on the dancefloor. I once nearly took someone's eye out with it, and they didn't seem best pleased. Some people are so moody!
.
LINK: ASOS website
.
QUICK BITZ/BLOG WATCH:
.
COMPETITION TIME! Thezapping needs a new look! It certainly needs it's own header. If you have the skillz to come up with one that you think captures the ethos of this site (and even tell me how to put it up) then send it to my email as a jpeg file or as the code i need to copy and paste. If there are enough entries, I will post the best on the site and let you readers vote for your fave! The winner will not only earn my eternal gratitude, but will have thezapping logo up on my site for 2007! And! to sweeten the deal, there will be a £30 (or country equivalent) amazon gift voucher for the very lucky winner! Closing date 8th January 2007...
.
BE IN A BOYBAND! maybe - can you dance? Can you spin and twirl and boogie? Are you not ugly in the slightest with a probably quite fit body? And you will need to be able to sing as well. If so, then an up and coming funky boy band are looking to expand their membership and have asked me to help out - send me whatever you think will convince them to audition you to my email and I will pass it on to the boys. Note - i won't be able to give any feedback on whether they want to see you or not! They will get in touch with you directly! Good luck!
.
COMING SOON ~ tomorrow will be the first part of our 7 in 2007 larger feature (with added friends!) and some news about other regular features taking place throughout next year. Thurs and Fri will be an indepth look and interview with out greatest pop hope for 2007. Then I get the weekend off before everything returns to normal on Monday! Hurrah!

6 Comments:

  1. PinkieDust said...
    I think i sent you a (late) christmas card.
    Anonymous said...
    Are you going to try and get into the boyband? Surely it would be you all over!? Or not?

    :)
    Paul said...
    aw i enjoy having the spirit of the season past the time when the season is over. it extends it a little/ if you know what i mean!

    i do SO belong in a boy band but i would look like Luke Perry auditioning for one of the jocks in High School Musical 2. Eg, not very realistic ;)
    Poster Girl said...
    "Join a boy band! E-mail me proof of what you can do!"...hmm, I'm going to have to start using that line on my blog!

    Aww, 5 AM? Reminds me of the good ol' days :) Try 10 AM around here.
    Paul said...
    ooo you've made me realise that it now sounds slightly pervy, so i've amended it somewhat! Don't want to get my inbox clogged up with filth!

    I was back in bed by 10am :)
    Poster Girl said...
    Oh, it didn't actually sound pervy--that was just me having fun messing with your words :) It's actually pretty neat that they e-mailed you about that!

Post a Comment