Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Sometimes weird memories pop back into your mind don't they? Like that whole unpleasant Dusty Springfield incident I was talking about the other day? Or how the other day, I saw this woman with a bristly upper lip and it reminded me of how 19 years ago I asked my mom for advice on how I should dump my first girlfriend, Sonia. My mom said I should just be honest. So after Sunday School that day and while she was surrounded by all her friends (3 of them then) I kindly informed her that we can no longer go on dating as she has a lot of hair on her top lip and it was like kissing a boy (this was a problem, why?). There was a brief moment of calm and then Sonia slapped my face and ran out of the church crying for some reason. She slapped me in the house of God!! The sanctuary of our Lord and Saviour!!! Though to be fair, Jesus was looking quite disapproving in the picture on the wall above me. Still, I'm the one that should have had tears in my eyes. I thought my cheekbone had exploded! The moral of that story was there is the truth and then there is "the truth"… and also, if you are reading this bristly lip lady, that is why I flinched as I walked past you when you had caught me staring. Sorry, luv… Anyway, I am so glad it is the weekend, I think I just need to rest and let my body catch up with itself. I started to nod off at work today and it was only when my head hit the top of my sparkling lemon and lime spring water drink with added vitamins and minerals (delish!) that I caught myself! Not good… On with the blog (or as my mom said "oh, that wasn't it?!") and another short one so I can get to bed early! Back to normal soon, I promise...
.
THE MAKING OF THE BAND:
.
On the day before my novel popped into my head, I for some reason idly wondered what would have happened if Bodies Without Organs were the remaining remnants of Steps or S Club and what would have been the story inbetween those bands splitting and a new band forming. Quite bizarre how my mind works, I know! Which of course eventually became a boyband meets Desperate Housewives style comic mystery. But as I have gone through plotting the book, I have realised that my boy band need 5 singles that fit to the storyline. I didn't want to choose really well known boyband songs, so here are some from around the world that I think will fit in quite nicely… (but other suggestions hugely appreciated. Purgatory is non-negotiable though!)
.
~ Janet Jackson: If I can't help but think given a bit of a Jadion makeover and bought bang up to date, Ms Jackson's dirtiest song would make a great lead off single for my boys. Imagine that intro with a perfectly choreographed dance routine, slick outfits and lots of dry ice (boybands need dry ice don't you know). Plus it would have a controversial video that would make Phixx - Hold On Me look utterly tame...
~ C21: One Night In Bangkok
The production on this would need to be more A*Teens than C21 – it needs to be a great (but not overdone) cover version that showcases all that is great about Swedish production values – really pounding beats, slightly thrashy chorus. And my boys would be doing a top notch, sexually charged dance routine at G-A-Y…
~ Mercury4: 5 Years From Now
This is a great little ditty that would be perfect for any boyband – sing a long chorus, acapella with hand claps finale, crisp harmonies and a warm, lush production factor. It's the Pray, the I Want It That Way, the Keep On Moving – just a nippy little pop song that will be around long after the band have gone…
~ Simon Curtis: Purgatory
I've said before that this will soundtrack perfectly a dark moment in the book – Simon sings this acapella and it sounds haunting and beautiful and I think a vocal harmony group could pull this off quite well. It would certainly showcase a different side to my band after a few perky pop singles…
~ Debbie Gibson: Lost In Your Eyes
Perfect Christmas single – I've always felt that Debs 1989 US chart topper deserved the boyband treatment. Don't be too slavish to the original – bring it up to date somewhat and for that Westlife effect, why not get Deb to duet on it as well? Chartrigger will hate it, but by this point in the novel my boys will be huge and gunning for a Christmas number one…
.
THE MAN OF A THOUSAND SHOWS:
.
Ugly Betty starts here tonight in the UK, but thanks to the magic of uTorrent, I have already enjoyed the first half of the season and love it I certainly do. And can I just say how freaking happy I am that (recurring guest spot it only may be at this point) Christopher Gorham is finally on a hit show. He was charmingly dorky on Popular, overly brooding on Odyssey 5 and loveably loser-ish on Out of Practice. However, it was Jake 2.0 that made me think, oh this guy needs to be a star. If it were on the UPN now, this one season wonder would be the perfect companion piece to Veronica Mars next season when the Gilmore Girls inevitably and tragically finishes this season. In fact, revive Jake – show the first season over the summer, beef up the ongoing story line for a season 2 relaunch and you've got the smartest pair of shows on the box back to back. God I miss this totally fun Spider-man without the costume superhero spy drama. See how perfect it is for today's televisual climate?!?
.
LINK: Jake 2.0 fansite
.
Gosh that was almost normal person's length wasn't it?! Anyway, email me if you want to contribute to singles review on Monday and i'll send you the songs. I'll try and post some stuff over the weekend then hopefully be back to normal again on Monday! Hurrah!!

8 Comments:

  1. xolondon said...
    I prefer something a little larger than a "normal person's length."
    Robpop said...
    XO: pictures please.

    Paul: Get better already! Or i'll have to come round and whip out my killer hot toddy+brandy. It cures everything*

    *cept poverty and wars.

    Funny you should mention odd memories flashing back. I was in Waitrose and was suddenly transported back to my performance of Don't Go Breaking My Heart with Luke Porter of Class 5f at my primary school. We put Kiki/Elton to shame!
    D'luv said...
    We've come to expect average length from you, Pablo.
    Poster Girl said...
    Sadly, I have no innuendo to use in this comment. Anyhow, please don't be upset when one of the songs you've posted today also pops up on my blog in two days--I swear I've been planning it (six month anniversary) for a while! And when you've recovered, I may have to ask you about uTorrent/torrents...
    Adem With An E said...
    Christopher Gorham is ridiculously nice to look at. LOVED him on Popular and am wanting to see more of him on Ugly Betty, which I'm absolutely loving. It doesn't start till about February here in Oz, so I'm just waiting patiently to start discussing it with all my friends.

    It's very Devil Wears Prada, isn't it?
    Paul said...
    innuendos ~ well! I never!

    Rob - i feel so much better today :) Hurrah, etc...

    Veronica Mars - i won't be upset :) Sometimes i spazz out momentarily when i've been hoarding a song and then someone else uses it!!

    Adem - i concur. I laughed so hard at Ugly Betty episode 7 when she checks into the hotel and is told to take a seat...
    PinkieDust said...
    Hurrah he's back!

    Is it me or am I the only one who finds nothing ugly about Ugly Betty. Bad bangs, braces and glasses do not make someone ugly.
    Paul said...
    i think betty's beauty shines out from within. I love her. Although really there is no excuse for bad bangs...

Post a Comment