Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Intensive Care??

I have loved little Robbie Williams ever since I bought the 7" single (ask your dads!) of Take That's Do What You Like after seeing Robbie cavorting in jelly and the gayest outfit ever in the video. I was one smitten kitten. And i loyally followed his career through Take That to solo long before it became fashionable to do so (Yes i own the cd single of South Of The Border )




It therefore comes as no surprise that The Sun newspaper reports that Rob is supposedly working on a new dance/pop album after a disappointing reception to Intensive Care. For me Escapology was my fave Rob album to date so IC is an even bigger disappointment. Slightly overblown, a heavy reliance on guitar riffs and poor single choices (Tripping instead of Make Me Pure? Sin Sin Sin instead of Another Place To Crash??) leads me to listen to this album les than any others of his... So a new album that includes collaborations with William Orbit and Pet Shop Boys in the camp pop style of Rob penned Your Disco Needs You is just what this jaded fan needs...

Don't get me wrong - one mediocre album doesn't mean I'm ready to abandon Rob yet. I stuck with him thru Let Love Be Your Energy and Mandalay Bay when he should have released Better Man didn't I But if you are looking for a Take Thatter turned solo, you could do a lot worse than little Mark Owen's latest set How The Mighty Fall. I've had it for a while but only just got around to listening to it (I'm very busy you know - work, social commitments, family, friends, darren, keeping up with the web, piano practice, reading, music, movies, tv, theatre, etc... its a wonder i sleep at all. I am the master of multi-tasking!!) It''s a great little pop album - catchy tunes, tender ballads, mixed with driving piano melodies, strumming guitars and peppered with humour, social commentary and self deprication. I Believe In The Boogie and Making Out showcase Mark at his best, while 3:15 is a fun little track that Rob would be proud to sing... maybe its time to stop buying all those James Blunt cds and give this a chance instead??



MP3: Mark Owen - 3:15

6 Comments:

  1. D'luv said...
    I tried to like Robbie. I really did. I just find him absolutely devoid of sincerity. His extracurricular shenanigans precede him, I guess, in my book. I bought Sing When You're Winning on import in 2000, and just couldn't get into it. And then Shaz got me Escapology and I liked "Feel," but not much else.

    I did think he was cute back in '96, when he was putting out his first solo stuff, though.
    orange anubis said...
    for me it's going to take an electronic pop album to make robbie interesting again - hope it's a good'un!
    Paul said...
    I didn't much care for Sing When You're Winning although any album with a kylie duet on scores extra points with me ;) I would love robbie to make an album again that just seems fun and exciting to listen to rather than laboured and dull :(
    xolondon said...
    I was schocked by how dull the new Robbie CD is as I love Stephen Duffy. It's just too subtle. I think he should have written with Stephen and been produced by someone else.

    "Hot Fudge" is my fave on the last album and they took it off the American version. It's so Elton!

    As for Marky, I LOVE "Believe In The Boooogie" baby. This song you posted is sort of Adam Antish or something...
    Paul said...
    have you heard the acoustic version of BITB (boo!Gay)? It is a thing of lower register beauty :) There is something slightly schizo about 3:15 that makes me love it :)
    xolondon said...
    I have not heard that. Gosh, however will I get it? ;)

Post a Comment