Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

More than a Feeling


It must be clear to regular readers of this blog that i have developed a bit of an obsession with new band The Feeling not seen since i went a bit psycho for Maroon 5 back in late 2003. Oh yes since then i have fallen in love with the Killers, the Scissters, Magic Numbers, etc and adore all those bands but The Feeling have something about them that appeals to me in a different way. Their debut album 12 Stops and Home shows that they can write ornate and soaring conversational love songs full of hear, bittersweet observation and unashamed street level Englishness. And rather brilliantly, The Feeling have an ability even within the most ambitios song structure to sound as if they are singing to you in a small intimate setting. There are supertramp influences all over the debut disc, yet the songs have that something that even ELO's best songs didn't have - charm. A lot of reviewers have given this album a great write up but also said it's this years guilty pleasure. Well for me, there is no guilt in loving this, its all pleasure (god how cheesy).

I am devastated however, that the excellent Fill My Little World "only" made number 10 this week. Its one of my favourite songs of the year and certainly deserved a higher chart placing than the dreadful Daz Sampson. I just despair sometimes i really do :)

Mp3: Fill My Little World acoustic

Link to Times review and great podcast

10 Comments:

  1. D'luv said...
    Okay, you've been singing The Feeling's praises for a bit now, and so this is the day I'm going to listen to them and try to love them. Don't let me down, now, Paul.
    Paul said...
    ooo i'm a little bit nervous now, like when you give what you think is a great essay in to be marked at college and you only get a B+...
    D'luv said...
    ...or the professor asks you to stay after class for a naughty rodding!
    Paul said...
    ah those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ;)
    Anonymous said...
    I just recently found your blog - great stuff. I've been obsessed with the Feeling ever since I heard "Never Be Lonely".

    I can't wait to get the album - so I can hear the song "love it when you call" and "Rose"

    SO GOOD! Great blog.
    Paul said...
    hi heather! glad you like it - be sure to check out their myspace site which has some album tracks on it this week - www.myspace.com/thefeeling
    xolondon said...
    a naughty rodding! Oh my! I love "Strange"
    Paul said...
    there are some similar sounding tracks on the album to strange - just lovely
    xolondon said...
    A copy just walked in my back door, so I will tell ya what I think!
    Paul said...
    ooo i look forward to it :) I just adore it even more every time i give it a spin... (do mp3s spin?)

Post a Comment