Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

catching a sneeze

on top of my still recurring stomach probs, i now have wicked hayfever too, so i am sneezing about 4 times a minute at the mo. Someone once told me that 3 sneezes in a row is the same as an orgasm, but let me tell you that's an urban myth...

Anyway, here are some quick musings for monday while i decide what to blog about for the rest of the week :)



Sunrise Avenue are a Finnish band who seem to have conquered (some of) mainland Europe with England even raising an eyebrow... and it's not like we're that discerning. I kinda came across them yesterday because i mistakenly thought they had covered Alexis Strum's Fairytale Can Go To Hell (click here to go to hotstuff for a brillo interview. Love. Her! Kudos Samuel!). I was wrong. What they have done is a slightly darker version of Incomplete by the BSB called Fairytale Gone Bad. Maybe its because i'm drugged up to the eyeballs or maybe its because i need more than Click Five and McFly in my boyband life but i quite like their tune. be sure to check out their myspace site too...

MP3: Fairytale Gone Bad (radio version)
MP3: Fairytale Gone Bad (acoustic)



Guess what people?! Not only are The Feeling a brilliant band and not only is their brilliant single Fill My Little World (still my fave track of the year - fact!) lingering in the top 40 longer than a Paris Hilton rash, but you can now dress like man loving lead singer Dan Gillespie Sells.

Apparently he has a suave preppy look to match the band's infectious (like Paris Hilton) easy listening tunes and his signature style happens to be spot on for next season's mod revival trend. Get shirt, waistcoat and wristbands at ASOS.com ;)



Finally, i remembered a track today that kind of spurred me into remembering that old indie bands never die, they just move to new record companies! Thus (great word) is the case with The Bluetones - darlings of the scene at the height of the late 90s Britpop when they ploughed a furrow of magnificent music alongside long forgotten also rans Oasis and Blur ;) Undisputed top ten classics like Slight Return and Marblehead Johnson inevitably gave way to mid table success but thankfully they are still giving their all to the world of upbeat pop-rock :) The 5th album is due in October and in the meantime you could do worse that their recent hits/b-sides collection A Rough Outline...

MP3: A Slight Return
MP3: Marblehead Johnson

8 Comments:

  1. DanProject76 said...
    Bluetones! Great band and singer...

    Mmmmm Mark Morris.

    He's strangely attractive. I stared at him in a BBC corridor once.
    D'luv said...
    Mr. Gillespie Sells is my new favorite pop boy crush! I'll have you know that all your ranting about The Feeling caused me to go buy the import of the album at Virgin Megastore on Sunset Blvd. on Friday. Yay! Such a solid album. "Never Be Lonely" is the best single so far, in my opinion. Pretty boys with pretty guitars.
    xolondon said...
    "Never Be Lonely" (ESP the last minute) is ONLY a pop masterpiece. It's so summery.

    Now I am majorly impressed by the La Strum coup. It makes me think I should be more aggressive in my fandom. Honestly, I like to see my idols, not talk to them. Whatever I say would just be stupid. Excellent job Hotstuff!
    xolondon said...
    I forgot to say sorry to Paul for feeling so shittayyy. It's all relative and you WILL get better.

    Also I lurve the Bluetones. Slight Return is lovely as is their first CD which was from the heyday of Britpop. It makes me think of a great bside for my own bsides post...
    Poster Girl said...
    I know a lot of people who could stand to dress like Dan Gillespie Sells, if that picture is anything to go off of.

    It's complete cheese, but my favorite track on their album might be "Love It When You Call," with "Never Be Lonely" in a close second and sometimes first, depending on the day.

    Thanks for the introduction to the Bluetones.
    Paul said...
    Dan - its ok to stare at famous people in the bbc corridor. i think its the beeb's motto. Plus i dribbled a little once when i met Deborah Gibson so its all good...

    J'Ason - i think Mr GS is the crush its ok for people to have as he is not in his teens and has ridiculously good cheekbones. plus, like Will Young, he is likely to reciprocate, so make sure you check him out when he eventually makes it to your shores...

    XO - never be lonely is the song for the summer (although see latest comment on your site) but Fill My Little World is still by far this years masterpiece. I do love Strange though...

    PPG - I Love It When You Call is the best song Ronan keating never recorded. it is so brillo. christmas single with a new double a please...

    and yes the bluetones are ultramarv. make sure you check out the new album when its released...
    Anonymous said...
    Oooh, Paul - you are so kind. And so are you xolondon.

    Actually from re-reading the interview, I really didn't know how it sounded - but, hey, I'm pleased - as you like it.

    And you know for some reason, Dan Gillespie there reminds me a lot of someone from the Keiser Chiefs (the band I can't spell) - except thankfully The Feeling are much better!
    Paul said...
    although I Predict A Riot (or I predict Mariah as my neice says) was the song of V last year... hopefully it will be la feeling this year...

Post a Comment