Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Oh!

THE NEW MISTRESS OF COOL

Well i already had my blog planned for today, then awoke this morning to find a new album kindly perched in my inbox. About a year ago, Rachel Stevens released the brilliant single I Said Never Again and underappreciated album Come And Get It to a shockingly largely disinterested public. What should have been a smash hit of Kylie proportions (why Crazy Boys wasn't a genius Christmas single is so far beyond me it's not even funny), merely ended up as a lost opportunity mourned by bloggers across the land...


And now the brilliant electro-pop follow up to that album will soon be available. Only Jamelia has recorded it! Now I never really paid much attention to little Jamrag - oh sure i slinked my hips at the disco to the silky smooth stylings of Superstar and the video to the Chris Martin written song was quite nice when you were tired, but other than that she was a mere blip on my radar. Which is why it's so surprising (for me) that she has reinvented herself so successfully as the new mistress of electro-pop and put together one of the most exciting releases of the fourth quarter (behind Killers, Scissters and JT of course!). Kind of like a solo Keisha-from-the-sugababes album, it ranges from catchy pop (Something About You), r'n'b inspired grooves (Do me Right), kylie style brilliance (the insanely catchy Beware Of The Dog) and kitsch gotta be a single classics (Window Shopping - complete with mrs slocombe sample!). Of course I'm not the only person to pick up on it's brilliance - XO has done his own brillow review and naturally samuel knows that this is gonna be hotstuff :)

I'm sure if you look around you will be able to find the album to listen to for evaluation purposes only, but be sure to buy it when it gets released!!

MP3: Window Shopping
MP3: Beware Of The Dog

THE KINGS OF UNCOOL


James Blunt can now step aside because Denver quartet The Fray now own the crown for being masters of all uncool. Thanks to spots on Grey's Anatomy, it's the inescapable Over My Head (Cable Car) that you've either been singing all summer or desperately trying to ignore ;) And of course they have an entire album full of similarly earnest swooning piano pop that sounds like it was written for a very special One Tree Hill. Nobody has to know how much you like them, but they definitely get bonus points for inviting the feeling on tour with them :)

MP3: Over My Head

10 Comments:

  1. Robpop said...
    totally agree with you on Rachel Stevens.

    Sadly, I feel the Jamelia is waaaaaaaaay overrated and this album for me leaves me cold. Beware of The Dog doesnt live up to the hype.
    xolondon said...
    I agree about Beware, but I think the album is terrific.
    Paul said...
    i too love the album and i really do like Beware of The Dog, i think its a great catchy little tune that is what it is - a lot of fun :) still i listened to the album on the way home (after i had written my fizzing at the slit review) and i am still way excited about it. Perhaps because i had such low expectations of the little jamrag :)
    D'luv said...
    The Fray!???!!!!?!?!?!?

    *projectile vomit*
    Paul said...
    oh leave me to my dubious musical tastes :) Now let me pre order that ali lohan christmas cd ;)now be nice or i'll send Dazpanic round...
    D'luv said...
    Luckily, when I see The Feeling, they're on their own. One more month!
    Poster Girl said...
    Wait, if the Fray invited the Feeling on tour with them, does that mean the Fray are touring the UK or the Feeling will be in the US? Because that latter option might just be too exciting to handle :) But it's probably the former...

    Oh wait, given the J'ason's comment, that must mean the Feeling are coming to the US?!
    Paul said...
    i think they are indeed stateside bound...check out www.thefeeling.com and click live dates!
    xolondon said...
    The Feeling are opening for The Fray in America, which SUCKS ASS b/c the Fray should have their own club dates. I refuse to see The Fray, so no Feelings for me.

    Paul, Did you just say fizzing at the slit? What do you write for Nip Tuck now?! :)
    Samuel said...
    Oh shit - I am awful at this commenting milarky. Is that how you spell that?

    Anyway - I have to say, I love 'Beware of the Dog' although I'm not too sure on the rest of the album. For some reason I am loving 'Tightrope' a lot more. So far, anyway.

    Nice to see you back Paul - even though that was so last week, but still...

Post a Comment