Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

One of those days...

Greetings pop pickers. I can't stop saying n'est pas today. I don't know what is wrong with me. I still have the sniffles and achy breaky body so shower me with pity as once again I have dragged myself into work, due to being the ultra committed individual that I am. I can't really focus enough to give you a cohesive post today (were my posts ever that cohesive?!) so you will just have to put up with a hotchpot of whatever is in my mind. And some stuff I read in the newspaper…

THE ACCIDENTS:

- While I was walking to an appointment for work the other day, i randomly kicked an unhatched conker/horse chestnut which then bounced off a bus stop (how chav - peasant wagons) and spiked itself into some old ladies thick tights. Honestly you think i had knifed her or something the fuss she made. I apologised - what more did she want?? Probably not to be spiked with a conker...
- Poor Ruthless of going to concerts with me fame texted me yesterday to tell me that she had fallen on her posterior on one of the very peasant wagons I write of above... apparently the bus was very full too and she probably bruised her cocyx (or however you spell it) ~ I assume no one helped her because they were all too busy looking down trying not to laugh.... poor Ruth!
- Is it a mistake that McFly sing in their new single Star Girl " I fell in love with your anus"?!? OR! More likely is it just what i choose to hear??

IT'S IN MY HEAD:


Sigh. So of course the Killers' new cd Sam's Town is all over tinternet… you can probably find it anywhere that says 'please see my comments for comments'! Titter…You can actually stream it legally on the mtv site, while their website has a different version of their When You Were (will) Young video. I haven't watched it yet, but I am sure its super great, n'est pas? In the meantime, check out the b-side of their vinyl release of WYWY called Where The White Boys Dance. Me likey long time.

MP3: The Killers – Where The White Boys Dance



Nerina Pallot, lord luv her, was interviewed in "free commuter paper" The Metro the other day and gave a list of her songs that are on her iPod at the moment. Now, I'll ignore the fact that these pretentiously eclective lists seem so carefully thought out usually because Nerina is declaring her love for The Feeling's Never Be Lonely. Here is what she had to say…

"This is my guilty please of the moment. I love The feeling. They just remind me of ELO and Supertramp and I love all that as well. There are lots of bands who are supposedly cool who write crap lyrics compared to The Feeling. I'd pick The Feeling over Kasbian for lyrics anyday."

Bless, as they say (who are they?) – I think Nerina has a great knack for lyrics as well and uses piano in her songs to great effect, much like The Feeling although obviously different in musical approach. I really love her song Geek Love at the moment and kind of want it to be the next single. Here are a couple of alternative versions of her songs to keep you going in the meantime…

MP3: Nerina Pallot – Geek Love
MP3: Nerina Pallot – Idaho acoustic version
MP3: Nerina Pallot – Everybody's Going To War strings version

Ah, little Jamrag Jamelia. I am still loving her rather slickly transatlantic Walk With Me cd which is out legally in the shops this very week…And mercifully Something About You has crept up to number nine, where all good songs seem to be peaking this year (well Never Be Lonely at any rate). If you buy the album via iTunes you can get a rather trashy and delightful bonus track Tripping Over You which is somewhat of a synth-rock meltdown. Further proving that Jam walks the walk and talks the talk to fabulously storming effect…

MP3: Jamelia – Tripping Over You


I remember reading about Schmoof somewhere (possibly Chartrigger??) ages before their new single Chocolate Boyfriend fell into my lap almost literally this very day. It's that age old dilemma of choosing between your boyfriend and a packet of Revels. More or less. The band are Sarah and Lloyd who combine eye boggling PVC costumes, ZX Spectrum inspired visuals and electro pop belters and I think I like them because Sarah confessed that she got thrush from being in a chocolate bath in her video. Classy.

MP3: Schmoof – Chocolate Boyfriend

When they are not gushing about Lily Allen (what's not to gush about), the fine people hoarding the Hotstufffiles are slightly enamoured with new bloggy fave Mika who I previously wrote about here. Anyway, they are absolutely 100% right about the flip to that Billy Brown song – Take it easy is a great track although sadly not a cover of the 3SL classic :) Here it is in "single" form and "extended remix"…

MP3: Mika – Take It Easy
MP3: Mika – Take It Easy remix

OTHER STUFF:

Here is a bunch of other mp3s that I have been meaning to post for a while but just never got around to it, including new but not particularly groundbreaking track from the always reliable Roxette; a new acoustic version of Steve Brookstein's largely (and rightly) ignored comeback single; A remix of Maneater and that JC Chasez song I mentioned t'other day…

MP3: Roxette – One Wish
MP3: JC Chasez – Until Yesterday
MP3: Nelly Furtado – Maneater Vibelicious Fruit Loop Radio Mix
MP3: Steve Brookstein – Fighting Butterflies acoustic mix (oh sweet lord!)

Coming soon: My thoughts on the season premieres; some album reviews (simon, gavin and lucas!); fashion feature; some more music stuff- including new band Not Your Hero; Oh! And I am nearly done editing guest writer Pinkie's rather good post on The Little Mermaid :) Oh part two! I just thought that i want to do a feature called Make Me Your Christmas Single...

12 Comments:

  1. PinkieDust said...
    Thanks for the Mika stuff.

    I downloaded the new episode of Desperate Housewives. Its back on form. But then I don't think it ever lost it.

    One is quite shocked you've never heard of Saint Etienne besides the Kylie connection:

    Please Download/it will make your wednesday blues fade into happy purple.

    http://www.zshare.net/audio/15-hug-my-soul-mp3.html

    http://www.zshare.net/audio/08-who-do-you-think-you-are-mp3-t88.html
    D'luv said...
    xolondon said...
    I lurve my Brit friends for speakin' some weird language! What is a unhatched conker/horse chestnut? I have no clue. Some sort of actual chestnut fallen from a tree?

    Sorry about Ruth(less) hurting her tail bone - that can be quite painful. She should have lotion rubbed down there nightly!
    E said...
    Paul its your duty finger Ruth!
    Poster Girl said...
    On McFly: it's a pun, I think (does that count as a pun?)--the lyrics will probably have it written out as "Uranus" to go with the whole star/space theme; very Busted of them, no?

    My computer's misbehaving and won't actually let me listen to the songs you posted, so I'll probably have more to say later :) For now, though, lots of sympathy vibes going your way.
    Paul said...
    Right -one at a time! Mr Dust! I know sometimes my lack of musical awareness is shocking so i am downloading as we speak. BTW - i have just downloaded Desperate Housewives and will be watching it tomorrow. I never thought it lost it - see if you can download Brothers and Sisters which airs after it. Its pretty good :) Do you watch Grey's Anatomy? GENIUS!

    J'ason - i knew you would have your finger on the button :)

    XO - lol! yes its like a chestnut in its spiky shell. Honestly, it doesn't hurt if you are stabbed with them and her tights/stockings were so thick nothing was penetrating those babies!

    Ella - i have passed that duty onto Ruthless' girlfriend Lou, but thank you for the advice :)

    PG - hope your computer is better soon...and thanks! I hope i am better soon!!
    Anonymous said...
    First off thanks for sharing my humiliation Paul ;) lol - always appreciated! :)

    XO Thanks for the sympathy! I have bruises all down my arms too which somehow I managed to scrape on the chairs either side of me!

    Lou is doing a marvellous job at providing sympathy and massages - don't know why I didn't do this ages ago!! ;)

    Only joking! But keep up the good work Lou!

    Paul, am loving the Nerina songs - thanks as always!
    xxx
    E said...
    Paul, there was the proper premier of Wicked last night. I didnt attend. The aftershow was at the Royal Courts of Justice. I'm told Neil Fox was the highest celeb there......
    Paul said...
    i believe he is a Dr, Ella!!! Wow the glamour of the life of Wicked. You think they could have at least sprung for Nadia from Big Brother 5...
    E said...
    I'm told the food was fab though. Oh one more thing, thanks to Pinkie's(Damn him!) post I'm going through a Saint Etienne reprisal. You mentioned a Kylie cover of Nothing Can Stop Us Now. Would you be so kind and share? It aint on any of my albums or Itunes.
    Paul said...
    no problem Ella - come back in about an hour (6pm ish british time!) and it will be up for you to enjoy and love!
    D'luv said...
    I'm so glad everyone's diggin' Saint Etienne! God, I love them.... anyone who's not heard "Like A Motorway" should pay the 79 p or 99 cents and download it now!!!

    It's right up there with "He's On The Phone!"

Post a Comment