Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Hello Pips and Pipettes! Well Ruthless and I left poor DazPains doubled up on the new leather corner sofa last night (the poor lamb has a kidney infection - he has the worst luck ever) and tried not to feel too guilty by running to the Pipettes opening night of their tour here in, er, glamourous Birmingham...

Pipettes tour review:

- as we walked through lovely Birmingham we couldn't help but notice that on the lifts/elevators (i'm so multi-cultural) there were some rather snazzy Scissor Sisters advertisements. ooo clever!


- then as we walked through the usually classy Debenhams, we noticed this rather poor taste Wedding display. Well I say we, but actually I mean Ruth's lesbilicious eyes were instantly attracted to anything slightly breast like...
- the concert had been upgraded to a slightly bigger hall in the Carling Academy. It was very hot though and stank a bit of stale piss. other than that it was all bonza - i particularly liked the t-shirts showing you how to Pull Shapes :)
- I briefly (i blame the lighting and my pint of cider) thought one of Death Cab 4 Cutie was cute on their poster, but then realised I was horribly horribly mistaken :(
- then rather mortifyingly, I was having a wee and a man came to the urinal next to me, hocked the hugest loogie in it ever (which really churns my stomach. I mean how uncouth. It was enough to give me the vapours...) and then turns to me and says "the lighting in here makes you feel ill" Really? Just the lighting??! All I could say was 'ew' and runaway (after washing my hands). I've never understood why strangers talk to you in the toilet?!
- Plus i was not happy that there was a sticker of The Feeling at the base of the urinal so I had to piss all over them. boo!
- There was a girl next to us who could balance her drink of water perfectly on her head and walk several steps. marv! For some reason, Ruthie and i deduced that this would mean she was brilliant in bed!
- The young barman made my cider head far too frothy so I told him i didn't mind a bit of head, which caused him to look at me in a scared but gay curious sort of way. Snicker!
- The support band sounded more like Stefy than Stefy but had absolutely no stage presence!
- The Pipettes were as brilliant and fun as you would expect them to be - I haven't seen so many audience members doing co-ordinated dance moves since the Steps Gold tour...
- they sang every song from their album and a couple of b-sides, which still meant it was all over in 45 minutes...
- short but brilliant is sometimes all you need...
- they played a brand new song which isn't a million miles away from their current stuff. in fact I got the impression that if they hadn't told us it was brand new, people would have just assumed it was off the album. but that's a good thing!
- the bass player Jez is actually almost as good looking as DazPretty which is quite the compliment. And he had good popstar hair!
- Judy, One Night Stand and It Hurts To See You Dance So Well all sound amazing live...
- School Uniform is actually quite morally dubious, unless it's Daykin from the History Boys as the actor that plays him in the touring version is quite handsome and has very chiselled features...
- I sang the wrong words to Pull Shapes in a V Fest 05 "Oh My God" moment. Ruthie knows what I mean.
- All in all fairly amazing. This review has been quite "popjustice-ish" hasn't it?!

MP3: We Are The Pipettes
MP3: One Night Stand
MP3: School Uniform

Hot Links:

Just as I had relegated Lorraine to the "try again in 2007" pile, Xo goes and posts a marvelous new track of theirs. Curses! Also, thanks to always spicy Poppostergirl, Ben Adams joins the "try again in 2007" pile...

What do we think of the new AllSaints song? I have to say that maybe like the Sugababes Easy, it's a little bit of a grower...


Coming soon! Some reviews (simon curtis; switch 22; lucas mire; gavin mikhail), some sophie b hawkins, some little mermaid, a "style like you mean it" fashion feature and hometown talent. And probably a bit more...

19 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Great review as ever! I think I have said it before and will probably say it again in the future but I love reliving our fun times through your reviews! ;) I can't wait for the pictures to be unleashed!! See you soon!
    xxx
    PinkieDust said...
    School Uniform is excellent. If it was recorded by someone like George Michael News International would go kerazi!
    Anonymous said...
    It might say "anon" but its Ella!

    -Pinkie don't put your face so close the webcam in future. You look like a bloated Elton John. Not totally loving the haircut either sweetie. You look like a lost member of Blazin Squad.

    -So over the Pips. But glad you liked them.

    -So NOT over my fabulous new BlackBerry!(I'm currently using it right now!)

    -Currently missing the Aquascrutum show. The summer sun is too good to miss espcially in late september.

    -Will attend Christopher Kane today at 4. Kylie will be there!!

    -Went to the proper Wicked aftershow party last night! T'was glam! It premiered last night for real...

    -Will update DontStopthePop today with a fagtastic Danish boy i picked up whilst in Copenhagen this summer.

    -Oh and I'm feeling fabulous today!

    -So fabulous in fact i might get very drunk tonight.
    Anonymous said...
    I am such a tragic bitch. I've just realised I got my timetable messed up. Christopher Kane was Wednesday.

    Fuckifuckfuckfuck! I am in so much trouble.

    I am too drunk for fashion week.

    Still fabulous though..
    Anonymous said...
    It's me XOLONDON:

    1) Ella is living out Project Runway in the comments field. We'll assume she is kidding. :) Pinkie's pic is fine!

    2) Viva Pip Music! I would love to see them in a club. If they do come to Amurrrrica they'll probably play just NYC and LA (yawn!)
    D'luv said...
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
    D'luv said...
    1. Ella, let's have babies.

    2. "The support band sounded more like Stefy than Stefy" -- that's literally the worst thing you can say about any band. Ouch. That was way harsh, Tai.
    Paul said...
    ruthless - pics now added!
    pinkie - i concur!
    Ella/anonella - i knew a drag queen called ella once? You aren't a 20 stone woMAN are you? your picture suggests not :P can't believe you got to hob nob with the wicked cast. PS i too am addicted to my blackberry :) Its the prada messenger bag of 2006...
    Dad - ella didn't mean to say fuck. I know you fucking hate that word ;)
    XO - yes we like pinkies new hair. He looks a bit 'ard like, but his love of little mermaid softens him up!
    j'ason - i assume you'll be carrying to term?!!
    E said...
    I've been discovered! My real name is Doris The Duffah!
    E said...
    Paul, my husbands always carry to term. Always at the portland my darling. Nothing less for The Duffahs!
    PinkieDust said...
    Ella/"Mrs Duffah" I heed your advice in the attempt to look as beautiful as you.
    D'luv said...
    Pinkie, bow down to Ella, and don't speak to her unless she dains you worthy of addressing you with her glittering angelic vocals first. On your knees, child.... oh, sorry, you were already down there.
    Poster Girl said...
    Will the Scissor Sisters' marketing genius never end? That limited edition set, those doors--what's next, dishes? Pez dispensers? temporary tattoos? Whatever, I'm impressed!
    Paul said...
    ppg - it is a marketing genius that came up with that campaign... i am a little bit jealous that i didn't think of it as it is so obvious!

    I think Pinkie and Ella should do a pantomime with Pinkie as the humble servant boy and Ella as his glittering fairy godmother. J'ason and I will work on a sexually adventurous script to get to you both soon ;) (it will be an adult pantomime!!)
    E said...
    No, no no. This is how it would play:

    Pinkie would be the son of Shrek. He looks like Shrek so it shouldnt be huge a stretch of the imagination for the audience. We'd just have to paint him green tho..

    J'ason would be the wicked evil Queen of Clayland. Ruling the country with his iron fist he'd control his nation of little trolls by playing back The Measure of A Man...

    Paul would play a little Brummie girl called Emily, with purple ruby shoes. Lost in the midst of this strange realm aka the Land of The Spaghetti Junction. Your only desire is to get back home: the beautiful shores of Dazpantsia.

    Assisting you would be me! I'd be your FairyGodMother aka Lady Prada. With my help you'd have to fight the evil son of Shrek and kill the Queen of Clayland with your huge huge throbbing sword.

    Ta-DAH!
    Paul said...
    i am so putting that in the text of my main post later today...no wonder you are so highly paid (nearly wrote laid then!)
    PinkieDust said...
    Ella! Your a walkingBitchBag! Shrek: thats low!

    Paul i emailed ya back. Not sure if i sent it to the right place.
    Paul said...
    i'm sure ella meant the son of shrek pre ogre phase - he would just be green like elphaba in Wicked :) can we at least compromise on that ;)
    Anonymous said...
    1. the pipettes venue was not upgraded to a bigger hall. it always had been listed as being at the academy 2.

    2. the pipettes bassist is called jon, not jez.

    and

    3. the pipettes told the crowd about the new song hence the cheering before they started it, we were the first to ever hear it.

    get your facts right :)

Post a Comment