Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Weekend greetings pop pickers :) Its always a glorious night when there is a steps night on one of the musical channels. I think I am really improving on the piano. I was playing for my little DazPiano tonight and he seemed to think I was pounding the keys too hard. I explained it was the passion of the piece and it was too express the emotion of the music. Chuh! Usually he loves it when i am pounding hard. Go figure... I realised today that this blog has got very random everyday, which I kinda like at the moment. It makes it a bit like a magazine, except without the quality writing ;) Still on with la blogging of todays random thoughts...

THE REVENGE:


Remember when Take That tragically split? Oh my egyptian cotton pillow was soaked with tears that day. Then everyone except me thought that Gary Barlow was going to be the golden boy of pop ( I was remaining loyal to Robbie despite his dodgy drug addled Freedom cover), before he promptly released a boring ballad and went down the dumper? (today we call that the Duncan James effect)... I did actually purchase both of Gary's cds and they are actually very good. Brimming with joyous little pop melodies and smooth ballads, they were vastly underrated - and as Robbie became the nation's darling, his venom for Gary rubbed off and he couldn't get work opening your local Lidls. But now how the tables have turned - Robbie seems to be in a creative funk/meltdown, and Gary and the Take That boys couldn't be hotter. Plus little G has an autobiography out today which tells his side of the story. Amazon has chosen not to deliver promptly to me yet, so I cannot comment but apparently its quite good. Here is one of Gary's highlights while we wait for the new Take That single and Robbie album to see where this battle takes us next...

MP3: Gary Barlow - Open Road
Bonus MP3: Shayne Ward - A Million Love Songs

THE TIME IS NOW (OR JANUARY):

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote that Lorraine were one of the bands that I was giving up on this year. Not because I didn't like them, but if the record company couldn't be arsed to put any effort in then neither could I and I would start my love for them again in the new year when hopefully the rest of the world has caught up to the joy of their quality brand of 80s inspired electro pop. But then, curse them, the record company sent me a nice signed photo and a cd sampler which is jolly marvelous. Not only does it have the singles on, but a couple of b-sides I haven't heard before. Curse you and your genius musical productions !!

MP3:
Lorraine - Saved
MP3: Lorraine - When I Return To The World

THE WAY TO WEAR WHITE SHIRT AND JEANS:


Poppostergirl alerted me to the delights of Anthony Callea who did something in Australia with Pop Idol or something. He sings lots of nice ballads, but far more importantly, PPG posted some news about his new single this week and accompanied it with a rather fetching pic of Little Ant with great pop star hair (almost enough to rival my funky new locks) and pulling off the difficult white shirt/jeans combo with great aplomb...If it looks too rigid and tucked in, then you look like great uncle norris but too scruffy and you look like some ragamuffin school kid. Kudos to Little Ant! PLUS! Today I finally remembered where I had heard his name other than on the web! He sings on the quite adorable Bambi sequel, imaginatively entitled Bambi 2! And while we are talking of that, I'll post a bonus mp3 with the greatest disney song title ever...

MP3: Anthony Callea - The Healing Of A Heart (from Bambi 2)
Bonus MP3: Bambi 2 - Lets Sing A Gay Song For Spring


Also pulling off white shirt and jeans this week in a photo shoot in NME is the rather bit of rough looking (even with those angel wings) Jack from cool new band Pull Tiger Tail...He's the one holding the beat box. Check out their myspace for their contributions to the new rave culture that is apparently "gripping" the youth of Britain. Oh my....

THE SHOCKS:

Shock one: Although D'Luv didn't mention it last sunday, knowing my love of Paolo Nutini, I'm sure he meant to... poor Paolo only got to number 20 with the rather rollicking Jenny Don't Be Hasty. Boo british public boo! Although to be fair his album rocketed back up the chart. Perhaps he is destined to be one of "those" acts....I still maintain that These Streets should have been second single. Still here is quite a good remix of Jenny that is giving the song some extra punch for american radio...

MP3: Paolo - Jenny (american radio remix)


Shock Two: I loved Delta Goodrem's first album. Just beautiful. The second was alright I suppose but it didn't connect with me in the same way. I think i was put off by the fact that she had probably taken it up the shitter from Brian McFadded (which is possibly the most vile crude thing i will ever write on here!). So what a pleasant surprise that her new single Flawed isn't flawed at all but a quite lovely piece of piano balladry. Welcome back Ms Goodrem. Now ditch the dead weight...

MP3: Delta Goodrem - Flawed

Coming soon: My holiday diaries blog! The zapping something for the weekend feature - this week a literally brilliant Where Are They Now feature with covers of Don't Cha and My Sharona! And probably some other stuff that hasn't even formulated in my mind yet.

6 Comments:

  1. xolondon said...
    1) I am thrilled that you posted that new Lorrane song and 2) I cannot believe I did not get an exclusive email with it attached! Kiss kiss slap slap! ;)
    Paul said...
    ooops my absolute bad - you are right to slap me. i am thrashing myself with the guilt birch as we speak. i will email you something even more exclusive to make up for it ;)
    xolondon said...
    WHAT is tha in Paolo's mouth!? Eww.

    Lorraine. Don't you wonder what tracks will be on the album. They have released like 11 or 12 in the past year. What will be left? My iPod has its own Lorraine CD which I keep adding to with each new song. I think they need to slow donw the tempo, do a ballad. And they also need to do a real stomper dance track. I like all their songs,truly, but they get a bit samey.
    Paul said...
    i heard Paolo likes something thick in his mouth. Ewwww....

    yes, those lorraine boys need to mix it up somewhat...
    Poster Girl said...
    Paul! I didn't have that Anthony Callea song--that was pretty exciting; thanks! Oh Anthony and his big ballads...he does seem to love them, even if they do his credibility no good.

    (Who needs credibility anyway, though?)

    I like the Gary Barlow song and Lorraine are as great as always.
    Paul said...
    i need to do a proper post on the overlooked career of Gary Barlow - but then i start to do a themed post and i have so much other stuff i want to write about that it ends up not happening! Focus, Paul focus!

Post a Comment