Site Network: Home | Blogcrowds | Gecko and Fly | About

Thursday Stew

Ugh, thankfully today went quicker than yesterday. Which just seemed to drag on forever. I blame our team meeting. It's all senior people (do blow my own trumpet about how important I am!!!) but our team manager is RUBBISH. She is never prepared, waffles on about unimportant things for far too long, fails to engage any sort of interest from her staff and most criminally wears clothes that are too bright and too big for her small frame. She looks like a child on their first day of school :) I was not impressed in the slightest. I'm pretty bad at hiding how I feel as well because at the end she asked if there were any ideas for improving team meetings and I accidentally shouted out "yes, be more prepared and sound interesting". Her cheeks went as red as a well spanked bottom... But I digress. As regular readers of this site will know well by now. On with today's random musings…

THE HIP TO BE SQUARES:



Like Batman and The Joker, Superman and Lex Luthor, Penelope Pitstop and The Hooded Claw, hipster Scots Franz Ferdinand and uber-gays the Scissor Sisters are inextricably linked. Well, ok they are not, so that was a bit of a lie wasn't it. Let's call it an exaggeration. Anyway, I sometimes forget that I like Franz Ferdinand. When I first heard Take Me Out, I thought it was one of the most exciting records of recent years (then Biology by Girls Aloud took that crown) and so worthy of the gorgeous slinky piano driven cover by those Scissters. Nothing else by the Ferds has been quite as riveting but I still likes them. They duetted with the Scissters on Suffragette City and more recently had The Fallen (which was quite nice actually) remixed into an almost unrecognisable storming Filthy-Gorg-esque dance classic by Simian Mobile Disco. So now you can see where I was going with my opening line…

MP3: Franz Ferdinand – Take Me Out (Daft Punk Remix)
MP3: Scissor Sisters – Take Me Out
MP3: Scissor Sisters & Franz Ferdinand – Suffragette City (live)
MP3: Franz Ferdinand – The Fallen (Justice Mix)

THE B-SIDES BAND:

Ah, B-Flo and the boys are just everywhere now aren't they. Like the Scissters before them, they have become media whores (my dad has asked me to stop using the word whore. He prefers prozzy or slag ;) ). There they are, stripping it up live and acoustic style or hanging out (sadly for him not literally) with D'Luv in some grotty radio shack… and all the while actually releasing storming b-sides that match the quality of anything on the album. So far, we've had Where The White Boys Dance and All The Pretty Faces, and now we have the dark rocker Daddy's Eyes which I picked up thanks to smashing non British blogger Nick. He always has his finger on the pulse of The Killers flip sides :) And because of that he wins Blogger I Am Most Jealous Of Today award. Take a bow young sir…

MP3: The Killers – Daddys Eyes

THE LATEST MYSPACE WANNABES:



Punky pop is coming back and not just in a Son of Dork/Busted sort of way – first of all we had Not Your Hero (who I posted about here), now we have the rather brilliantly named Last Chance (which is so what Upper Street should have been called – and while we are on the subject lets just discuss how much I hate Danny Wood, the talentless hack!) from Bolton. Now, I've never been to Bolton (I've been to paradise but I've never been to me) but they advertise jobs in the gay press stating what an inclusive city it is, so it can't be all bad. Last Chance are 5 lads who have put together a tight, interesting sound and released two ep's of demo tracks with a third ep on the way. By gigging their way around the north, they are keeping it real and deserve at least a sniffta of success soon please. Below are two songs that you can download on their myspace site that make you feel that this is what Busted would sound like now if Charlie hadn't shafted them proper and they were actually any good…

MP3: Last Chance – Things About Me
MP3: Last Chance – Another Opportunity

THE FAMOUS GAYS:


Hurrah! The nice editor at midland zone magazine very kindly sent me two copies of our little gay wedding. What a guy – it was nice to be featured too :) June suddenly seems so long ago :(

THE CHRISTMAS CONTINUES CAMPAIGN:

After the "success" of my start Christmas early post a week or so ago, everyone is picking up on it. Even the hot stuff at hotstufffiles are feeling all festive and that can't be a bad thing. More news is dripping through about those all important Christmas singles…The Feeling have taken my advice and are releasing Love It When You Call and are currently filming the video as we speak; Pink is sadly not releasing Dear Mr President but some other track instead; Nelly F is going for All Good Things and Westlife are covering Bette Midler's The Rose. Which just makes me want to weep. Oh! And the lovely Maria Serneholt should so release the lilting Oxygen as her festive offering…Good news is that BBC One have bought the rights to High School Musical and will be showing it on Christmas Day, which will tie in nicely with the release of the next single, All In This Together, from that album…Darren and I watched it again last night and I just love it. It's so cheesy yet so brilliant in its embracing of the cheese. Gotta get your head in the game!

MP3: High School Musical – All In This Together
MP3: Maria Serneholt - Oxygen

THE DAYS HAPPENINGS:

- hurrah! The Debenhams sale is now on which means lots of very funky clothes at very reduced prices. Times to goes shopping me thinks. Also you get a free cd by that pretentious twat Jamie Cullum if you spend so much. I once thought i fancied Jamie Cullum when I was drunk, but it turns out i was just constipated...
- I was running up the steps with my shopping today to catch the train home from work, when I slipped going round the corner and went flying. My shopping bag went flying too though i managed to keep hold of it, but it didn't half whack some dude in the face. I didn't have time to apologise so if you are reading this mr bagsmack dude. I'm Sorry :(
- Someone at work described me today as the one who is always eating. It makes me sound like a right hippo. I nearly choked on my revels...

Coming Soon: New something zappy for the weekend feature; those album reviews by tomorrows bright young stars I keep promising; something else on the history boys; the debut of my holiday diaries blog; something on Robin Hood and probably much much more (including some stuff on Lorraine)….

7 Comments:

  1. Nick said...
    Hell yeah! I love taken bows!

    Glad you enjoy the track. I am totally there with you on High School Musical. It's is such great camp, especially the showstopper in the cafeteria. I must watch this movie again...
    Nick said...
    Wow... so that would be taking, not taken.... yeah...
    Poster Girl said...
    If I hadn't gotten confirmation about the new Anthony Callea single this morning, the Feeling would totally have made my day by deciding to release "Love It When You Call." It deserves to be #1 for weeks and weeks!

    (I can't hear "The Rose" now without thinking of Napolean Dynamite.)
    Paul said...
    Nick - i love your site! always so thougtful and lots of great music i never heard before :) I am enjoying the countdown to hallowe'en :)

    PG - Love It When You Call will be out Nov 20th. Its all very exciting. I haven't seen Napolean Dynamite but i hear good things about it...
    D'luv said...
    Pablo, my dad is addicted to Napoleon Dynamite. Thanks for the Killers b-side. I tried to click on that boy Nick's name to go to his site, but it says he's chosen not to make his profile public. How elitist.

    I didn't mention that I actually went back to the parking garage for the second of three Killers nights on Jimmy Kimmel. This time, the show's producers were expecting us, as they had a huge spotlight shining up on all of us, and Brandon and Jimmy yelled up, "Hello up there!" They performed "Bones" (again), "All These Things That I've Done", "My List", "Mr. Brightside" and "Read My Mind" (again)...

    As for Franz, I agree that they took a bit to grow on me, too, but I did end up loving their first album eventually. The second one, I haven't really gotten into much... I think that was a universal feeling
    Paul said...
    i remember having a franzy conversation with you before :) How nice of you to whore yourself out to the killers. Filthy slut ;) Dazpants will be so impressed ;)
    Nick said...
    Hahaha... I totally want to make my profile available but here's the problem... when I do that it shows up on my blog and I'm not too crazy having my pic on the actual blog. Is there a way to make it public without having it on the blog? Probably something really easy I bet...

Post a Comment